23 October 2006

I'm back, yes, I'm back

Okay, I know it's been a while since I've posted--DAYS, even--but I offer as my excuse: (1) my DSL line was out and I'm too lazy to go online with dial-up any more, and (2) we had a party this weekend. So, basically, my little foray into dissolute libertinism kept me away. Mais mes chers, je suis là maintenant, et maintenant, et toujours.

Where did Shehun come from? When I was first teaching, way on back in 1990 when we had to walk uphill both ways through four feet of snow to get to our classroom and don't MAKE me stop this car, I had a dream. I dreamt that I was at school and had forgotten it was costume day; in a panic, I ran through the long twisty corridors of Brink Hall, looking for help. One of the other TAs lent me a horned helmet, a sword, and a fur. I said, in triumph and with a grand flourish of said sword, "Yes! I will go as JA-KAL the SHEHUN."

Anyway, I don't know why, but it's the only nickname I've ever had that's stuck.

1 comment:

msliberty said...

This site is WONDERFUL! I'm going to add you to my sidebar as soon as I have time to do any posting later tomorrow afternoon. In between work at the store and studying, I haven't had much time for anything else!

Please thank the lovely AW for her gracious hospitality. We had a wonderful time on Saturday, and even though I didn't get to chat with you too much, I had a fabulous time talking politics with Bruce. A formal thank you is coming via a more personal electronic medium soon.