17 January 2007

Where are we going, and what are we doing in this handbasket?



Snow in Redlands, California? Mais oui! Things are funky with the weather, so much so that the U.S. government might even start snapping their fingers and believing in Global Warming (see "Better late than never"). One wonders, really, if "late" or "never" really counts, but of course, one is cynical. In related news, the Brit scientists have reset the Doomsday Clock to show that we have moved two minutes closer to our eternal midnight.


On the bright side, I finally finished Richard Dawkins' The Ancestor's Tale (all about evolution!) and am comforting myself with the idea that at least twice in the last billion years, life (mostly) got wiped out and rebounded....slowly. Once the giant reptiles vanished, our little nocturnal shrew-like ancestors made mammalian hay with the whole thing. What happens when we (the new giant reptiles) blow ourselves up? My money's on the cockroaches.


And speaking of giant reptiles, I've moved on to reading Eragon.

3 comments:

Summer Writers said...

yes...I read about this stuff with a sense of terror. I have been freaking out about the environment since the late 80's. A couple of months ago, I went to a party where folks were downing beer and one old fart said to the cowboy who was hosting: "you don't do anything ridiculous like recycle do ya?" The cowboy said "hell NO!" and gaffawing they tossed their beer cans in the trash. I was apoplectic! But they just looked at me like I was some radical treehugger who deserved nothing more than their contempt...arhggggg
Some people are such wankers...did I get dropped off on the wrong planet?
Fred

Sonie said...

The planet's gone to pot and few people seem to give a flying f*** about it. I think most people feel that they won't be around to deal with the real problems because they're convinced it won't happen in our lifetimes. Would they treat their mothers this way? The earth is our mother and she deserves our respect, but those who disrespect the earth are just a bunch of punk teens who think they know everything and take Momma for granted.

Have you hugged your friendly neighborhood tree today?

Anonymous said...

Shehun! We miss Shehun!