09 January 2007

Sometimes, the best thing about the day is the diner you find yourself in.

So winter quarter is less than 48 hours old. Yesterday, they closed campus because of high winds (so I had some extra time to finish reading schedules and syllabi); today, cleanup ensues--there are several downed trees and lots of trash blown about.

Today's adventure, on a personal note, was of the locking-myself-out-of-the-house genre. "No problem," I thought. "There are spares." Then I remembered that all of our spares were inside the house, since we had regathered them from housesitters and friends upon our return from Boston. Our dogsitter, the intrepid Marianne, wasn't answering her phone. "In the meantime, no problem," I told myself. "I'll just scale the fence and get the spare from the back house."

And so, with a boost from the front-porch bench (all 75 pounds of it, which I dragged to the side of the house), I got on top of our 6-foot cedar plank fence (yes, the gates were also locked), jumped down, and went out back. Dear reader, you already know this--there was no spare key there, either.

I climbed back over the fence to hang out with Morrigan, who was leashed to the front door waiting for me. Marianne appeared, let me in, and I came in to work.....after some salutary eggs and pancakes at DJ's with my friend Hossy.

at left: the view from DJ's

1 comment:

Summer Writers said...

silly girl!!
Im back on yr blog yipee
Fi