28 August 2007

Random crow thoughts (and meet my daemon)



Well, it's true I'm a great fan of the corvid family--crows, jays, magpies. By the way, has anybody not read Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy? Because seriously, it's one of the best things out there.

Another great thing having to do with Corvidae: Joni Mitchell's "Black Crow," from her 1976 album Hejira.

... In search of love and music
My whole life has been
Illumination
Corruption
And diving, diving, diving, diving.
Diving down to pick up on every shiny thing,
Just like that black crow flying
In a blue sky...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Charybdis (the last one not to have read it) is 3/4 through The Subtle Knife.

The Simpleton said...

I do believe your daemon is a crow; it fits, even if you don't like black licorice (i.e., black crows).

I can't remember my daemon; I guess I'll have to take the quiz again.

Anonymous said...

/agree
its a wonderful series
Also did you read the Stroud series the Bartieus trilogy?
Its quite good also

Gregory said...

Corvids are fabulous... So smart, they almost always outsmart people.

My favorites are the baby crows and ravens that sound like they are getting strangled when all they are doing is squawking for food. It's this cracking voice juvenile bleat that is truly stunning and unique. I dig it. I am always amazed that humans wander around and pretend to ignore the bleating of birds who are probably more actively intelligent than they are.

What is LAW? I have never seen that term before.

Hope your term is going well!

Anonymous said...

The final book has one of the most tragic endings ever. If I 'm ever depressed, I go to Barnes and Noble, read Will and Lyra's goodbye, and feel much better.
Cheery huh
Fred